Wolves vs. Newcastle match preview
Newcastle will be aiming for their sixth unbeaten Premier League game when they travel to Molineux. Meanwhile, the Wolves are also on their own unbeaten streak.
After three consecutive losses, Newcastle have won four of their last five Premier League matches. Even the “Warbler” kept a clean sheet in each of his victories. As a result, Eddie Howe has risen to 6th place in the rankings, only 4 points away from the top 4.
- However, Newcastle is facing a difficult road. In the upcoming Carabao Cup, they will face Manchester United, followed by a tense battle with Arsenal in the Premier League and the second leg against Dortmund in the Champions League.
- Against the Wolves, it wasn’t an easy game either. Both Newcastle and Wolves have scored in 15 of their last 16 encounters. In 6 out of 8 Premier League visits, Newcastle finished the match in a 1-1 draw.
- While Newacstle has been in high form, the Wolves have also improved strongly in the table after a 4-game losing streak. “The Wolves” climbed to 12th with a 7-point gap over the bottom group.
Pedro Neto has been the Wolves’ star this season. The Portuguese has assisted six goals, equaling his best single-season assist record after just nine matches. Only four Wolves players have ever assisted more in a season, the closest being Adama Traore with nine assists in 2019/20.
The problem for the Wolves now is to keep hold of Pedro Neto ahead of the big boys’ tug in January. If a good offer is made to Molineux, Neto could leave, and the Wolves will face a tough relegation race.
One weakness of the Wolves has been discovered to be slow starts in games. Only two goals have been scored in the first half of this season, accounting for 18% of the team’s total goals. And they will face Newcastle, who have scored the most first-half goals in the Premier League this year with 10 goals.
A loss to Dortmund in the Champions League in midweek dropped Newcastle to third place in Group F. But the more serious problem was that Alexander Isak and Jacob Murphy were injured and forced off the field. These damages have a big impact on Newcastle’s combination, especially as Sandro Tonali has also just received a 10-month suspension and this penalty comes into effect now.
Matches between Wolves and Newcastle usually end in draws, and this is the most common outcome. In their 16 Premier League meetings, 10 ended inconclusively. In their last match, Newcastle overcame Wolves at St. James’ Park with a goal from Miguel Almiron in the 79th minute after a difficult game. But this time, Newcastle will find it difficult to travel to Molineux.
A heartbreaking 1-0 loss to Dortmund in a Champions League tie left Newcastle underdogs, and when they returned to the Premier League, they proved tired. The Warblers’ away form has also been inconsistent, with just one win in their last five outings.
In contrast to Newcastle, Wolves are showing signs of recovery with quite positive results. They went undefeated in four straight games and picked up eight points. This is a very impressive achievement, especially considering that the Wolves have lost four games in the first five rounds.
Analysis of the scoring record of two teams
Comparing the scoring records of the two teams, we see that Newcastle are rated higher than Wolves. However, the Wolves are now in better form with a three-game winless streak. Meanwhile, Newcastle have just suffered a loss against Dortmund and have suffered serious damage due to the absence of several key players. Therefore, it is possible for Newcastle to drop points altogether.
In their last 16 games against Newcastle, Wolves have only managed to win.
The final score of six of Newcastle’s eight matches at Molineux was 1-1.
- In the last four Premier League games, Wolves have not known the smell of defeat.
- Compared to the same time last year, the Wolves now have an advantage of 5 points more.
- In 2023, Wolves have scored in just one of their 14 Premier League home games.
- Newcastle have won four of their last five Premier League matches without conceding a goal.
- With a total of 24 goals in nine matches, Newcastle have set their highest scoring record since 1994.
- A win would give Newcastle a total of 1,500 points in the Premier League. They will become the eighth team to achieve this success.
- Newcastle’s winning percentage in this match is around 57%.
When it comes to the overall rivalry between the two teams, Wolves are not underdogs compared to Newcastle. In their last ten encounters, the Wolves have had two wins, six draws, and just two losses to Newcastle. These figures prove that Wolves have an advantage over Newcastle.
Thus, based on this information, it can be concluded that Wolves are capable of winning against Newcastle.