How To Filter Comments on Instagram? Instagram prioritizes the safety of its users, and it has measures in place to protect them from harassment, including the ability to filter out unwanted comments and direct messages. By setting up filters, you can control which comments and phrases appear on your posts and direct messages, effectively protecting yourself from abusive language and other forms of harassment. Would you like to know how to set up these filters?
Also see this “How To Ask for Music Recommendations on Instagram“
Should I Filter Instagram Comments?
When using Instagram, it is important to prioritize your peace of mind. Instagram provides the option for users to regulate comments and filter out any that they find abusive or inappropriate. By accessing the “privacy” section of your account, you can enable the “hide offensive comments” feature and specify which words, phrases, or emojis you do not want appearing on your comments. However, if you prefer to receive all types of comments, including potentially harassing ones, then filtering may not be necessary. Ultimately, it is up to the user to decide when and how to filter comments.
How To Filter Comments on Instagram
Instagram has recently introduced an update that includes a filter to block offensive words, phrases, and emojis in comments and direct messages. If you haven’t used this feature yet, here are the steps to follow on Android, iPhone, or desktop.
To enable Instagram’s new filter that allows you to hide abusive phrases, words, or emojis on comments or direct messages, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Instagram account using the app.
- Tap your profile picture at the bottom of the screen to go to your profile page.
- Tap the “Menu” button at the top.
- Tap “Settings”.
- Select the “Privacy” option.
- Click “Hidden Words”.
- Toggle on the “Advanced comment filtering” button.
- Tap “Manage custom words”.
- Enter the words, phrases, or emojis that you want to filter and click “Add”.
- Go back to the previous window and toggle on the “Hide comments” button under the “Custom words and phrases” section.
To filter abusive phrases, words, or emojis on Instagram on an iPhone, follow these simple steps:
- Open the Instagram app on your iPhone and log in to your account.
- Tap your profile picture at the bottom of the screen to access your profile page.
- Tap the three-line “Menu” button at the top of the page.
- Select “Settings” from the menu options.
- Choose “Privacy” from the Settings page.
- Scroll down and tap “Hidden Words”.
- Toggle on “Hide Comments” and “Advanced Comment Filtering” under the “Offensive Words and Phrases” section.
- Turn on the “Hide Comments” button under the “Custom Words and Phrases” section and add emojis, words, or phrases you want to filter by separating them with a comma.
To filter offensive comments on Instagram via the website, follow these steps:
- Open Instagram’s website on your desktop and log in to your account.
- Click on your profile at the top of the page and select “Settings”.
- From the menu on the left, click on “Privacy and Security”.
- Scroll down to the “Comments” section and click on “Edit Comment Settings”.
- In the text box, enter the keywords you want to filter, and then click “Submit”.
Once you add a keyword to the filter list, any comment or direct message containing the keyword or associated emojis will be automatically hidden from your view. This applies to both comments on your posts and direct messages. You can ensure that your Instagram account is free of abusive content by utilizing this filter feature.
Protecting yourself on Instagram is vital, and filtering abusive comments is one way of achieving this. To filter comments, you only need to create a word list of the keywords you want to filter, and Instagram will take care of the rest.
This guide has outlined the steps for filtering comments on Instagram. By following these steps, you can filter comments and phrases that you find abusive or inappropriate. With this guide, you now have the tools to implement comment filtering and improve your Instagram experience.