Instagram employs various metrics to generate personalized recommendations for accounts that users should follow, and one of those metrics is the contacts you have on the platform. If you have granted Instagram permission to access your contacts, it can utilize that information to suggest potential accounts for you to follow. However, not all users appreciate this feature, and if you unintentionally enabled contact syncing on Instagram, you can choose to remove all the synced contacts and disconnect Instagram from syncing your contacts in the future.
How To Disconnect Contacts From Instagram
When registering for Instagram, you give the app permission to access your contacts. This enables Instagram to suggest people you may know and recommend accounts you may be interested in following. However, these recommendations can become bothersome if you’re not interested in connecting with your contacts on the platform. Additionally, as Instagram is owned by Meta (formerly Facebook), granting Instagram access to your contacts indirectly gives Facebook access to your contacts as well. This means you may receive friend suggestions on Facebook from people in your contacts.
To take control of your personal information and prevent Instagram from accessing your contacts, you can disconnect your contacts from Instagram using the following steps:
- Open the Instagram app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Tap on your profile at the bottom of the screen to open your profile page.
- Click on the menu icon at the top of the screen and select “Settings” from the listed options.
- Next, click on “Account,” and then click on “Contacts syncing.”
- Toggle off the “Connect Contacts” option to disconnect your contacts from Instagram.
- Finally, click the “Disconnect” option.
By following these steps, Instagram will no longer have access to your contacts or any contacts you may add in the future. It’s important to note that any previously synced contacts will still be available on Instagram unless you choose to delete them.
How To Delete Synced Contacts From Instagram
To delete synced contacts from Instagram, please follow these steps:
- Open your Instagram app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Click on your profile at the bottom of the screen to open your profile page.
- Tap the menu icon at the top and select Settings from the list of options.
- Click on Account and then on Contacts Syncing.
- Click on the option labeled “Delete All Contacts.”
- A confirmation message will appear. Click “Delete” to confirm.
Keep in mind that it may take up to 90 days for Instagram to remove all your synced contacts from their servers. During this period, you may still see your contacts being suggested to you.
When setting up Instagram, users are prompted to grant access to their contacts. Granting permission allows Instagram to sync your contacts and suggest those on Instagram. However, if you wish to revoke this permission, you can disconnect your contacts from Instagram and delete the synced contacts as covered in this guide. Following the steps provided will ensure that Instagram no longer has access to your contacts and that your synced contacts are deleted.