In the early days of Instagram, users could only post photos taken with their cameras. All they had to do was snap a picture, add a filter, write a caption, and hit post. However, in recent years, the platform has been inundated with photos that feature text overlaid on top of the image. You might be wondering how to create similar posts so that your photos don’t appear dull in comparison.
At present, Instagram’s native photo editor does not include the option to add text to images. Users are limited to applying filters and making basic adjustments to their photos before publishing them. While it would be convenient to have a built-in text tool, currently, the only options for adding text to your Instagram photos are either through the use of Instagram Stories or by utilizing a third-party photo editing application.
How To Add Text to Instagram Photo
There are various reasons why you might find it necessary to add text to an Instagram photo. Perhaps the image itself cannot convey the message you want to share with your audience without accompanying text, or maybe incorporating text into your brand’s style is crucial. Another possibility is that you want to include a powerful word to grab your viewers’ attention.
Regardless of the reason, there are two primary methods to add text to your Instagram photos.
Method #1: Add Text Using Instagram Story
Adding text to Instagram photos within the Instagram app is limited, but it’s still possible through the use of Instagram Stories. To do this, simply follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram app on your mobile device.
- Tap on “Your Story” located in the upper-left corner of the home feed or tap the plus icon on your profile feed to create a new Story.
- Select the photo you want to add text to within Instagram Story.
- Tap the “Aa” icon located at the top of the screen.
- Type the text you want to add to the photo.
- Save the Story to your camera roll by tapping the arrow icon pointing down at the bottom of the screen.
- Exit Instagram Story and tap on the plus icon to create a new post.
- Select the edited photo you just saved from your camera roll.
- Apply any filters or edits you want to the photo.
- Write your post description, including hashtags, location, and preferences.
- Once you’re done, publish the photo.
Although this process involves twelve steps, it’s quick and simple to do.
Method #2: Use a Photo Editing Tool
To add more flexibility and choose fancy and decorative font styles for your Instagram posts, using a third-party photo editing tool is the way to go. The process is simple and can be done by following these steps:
- Open your preferred photo editing tool, either through an online browser or a downloaded app.
- Select the photo you want to add text to.
- Use the text tool provided in the photo editing tool to add the desired text.
- If you want to add filters, you can do so using the photo editing tool, eliminating the need to do it on Instagram.
- Once you’re done, save or export the edited photo to your camera roll.
- Open the Instagram app.
- Tap the plus icon to post the photo on your Instagram feed.
- Open the edited photo from your camera roll.
- If you didn’t add filters using the photo editing tool, you can do so now in the Instagram app.
- Add the post description, including relevant hashtags, location, and preferences.
- When you’re done, publish your photo and watch your engagement grow.
Instagram has undergone a significant transformation, and it is no longer just a platform for sharing photos. Nowadays, graphical content is just as prevalent, and you may have noticed an increase in the number of graphics with accompanying text on your Instagram feed. It’s no surprise that these types of posts tend to receive a lot of engagement from other users.
On Instagram, visually appealing content is crucial. However, it’s equally important to ensure your message is clear, particularly if you’re a brand or business seeking to attract a long-term following. Adding text to your Instagram post is one way to avoid miscommunication, and luckily, there are two simple methods to achieve this.
Gone are the days when Instagram was limited to plain photos. In today’s highly competitive landscape, brands are encouraged to be creative and up their game to stand out among the plethora of other brands on the platform. Research suggests that users have short attention spans, so it’s more critical than ever to capture their attention and leave a lasting impression.